ADSM-L

Re: Sybase backup ?

2003-12-17 09:20:25
Subject: Re: Sybase backup ?
From: Miles Purdy <PURDYM AT FIPD.GC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:19:19 -0600
Hi Jaap,

we have a similar situation to others on the list. My TSM server has a large
filesystem (300 GB). We NFS mount this filesystem to all the nodes with Sybase
running. We then perform our dumps to this filesystem. The dumps get backed up
as regular files, as far as TSM is concerned, on the TSM server.

I have created a special management class to hold the Sybase Database dumps. We
keep ours dumps for 14 days.

In our situation this setup works very well. As others have said, there are no
extra licensing costs. It is very fast, the bottleneck is the network (SP
Switch) in our case, but GigE would suffice. Once the dumps are files, you
don't need any 'mods' for TSM to be able to handle them. We also load our test
databases a lot. So having the centralized data store really makes this easy.

If your on AIX I can provide some scripts, to any one who wants them, to help
manage this.

Miles

Miles Purdy
System Manager
Information Systems Team (IST),
Farm Income Programs Directorate (FIPD),
Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada (AAFC)
Winnipeg, MB, CA
Office contact:                                            Mobile contact:
 purdym AT fipd.gc DOT ca                                      purdym AT
rogers.blackberry DOT net
 ph: (204) 984-1602 fax: (204) 983-7557        Cell: (204) 291-8758

"If you hold a UNIX shell up to your ear, can you hear the C?"

>>> jaap AT SARA DOT NL 17-Dec-03 7:48:54 AM >>>
dear people,

Has anyone of you any experience with backupping of SYBASE databases?
Are there already special mods available in TSM or is there another way
to backup this with TSM

Met vriendelijke groet, Kind Regards,

Jaap P. Dijkshoorn
Systems Programmer