ADSM-L

Cannot backup using 3581 LTO on Win2K

2003-12-10 00:24:29
Subject: Cannot backup using 3581 LTO on Win2K
From: Mario <mario AT NIAGAPRIMA DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:57:00 +0700
Hi,

I have a problem with backup using TSM v5.2 on windows 2000. Here's my current
configuration :
- OS : Windows 2000 Server
- Server : IBM X series 235
- SCSi : IBM Serveraid 4Lx
- TSM ver : 5.2
- Installed application : SQL Server 2000, Mcafee Antivirus
I've browsed the previous e-mails and found one that is similar to my problem.
I already followed all the steps as suggested (see below...) and it's still not
working..
First of all, using TSM device configuration wizard, the library and tape drive
configured successfully. The wizard recognize the library device name as
lb3.0.1.2 and the drive as mt3.0.1.2. So I continue with labelling and chekin
process.., and it also went well.. After that I try to backup some data (2gb of
data, not open file) the session started.., the tape load itself to the
drive.., but after that there are no process and no request.. The server
sometimes hang for a while, after about 10 - 15 minutes.., the tape unload
itself from the drive.., and i get this error message...

12/06/2003 13:49:58   ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive

                       MT3.0.1.2 (mt3.0.1.2) for WRITE operation, errno = 1117.

12/06/2003 13:49:58   ANR1411W Access mode for volume DLYWED now set to

                       "read-only" due to write error.

12/06/2003 13:49:58   ANR1181E astxn.c557: Data storage transaction 0:18113 was

                       aborted.

12/06/2003 13:49:58   ANR0532W smnode.c2552: Transaction 0:18113 was aborted for

                       session 141 for node NBLSERVER06 (WinNT).

I've already tried to reinstall the TSM server and the drivers for both tape
and library.., and i keep getting the same result..
any suggestion ?

RSM under Windows 2000 is no longer needed. Install the 4.1.3.0 or later
version of the TSM server. The following information is contained in the
TSM server readme:

* $$3 Additonal information on support for LTO Tape Drives on Windows *

TSM allows users to define the 3581, 3583 and 3584 IBM LTO libraries as
LIBTYPE=SCSI

Because Windows 2000's Removable Storage Manager (or RSM) does not always
handle devices properly behind a SAN, TSM is now allowing 3581, 3583,
and 3584 libraries to be defined as type SCSI. (RSM does not auto-configure
the libraries on the SAN Data Gateway because the SDG re-maps the SCSI
device id's and logical unit number's of the drives in the library and RSM
cannot resolve the SDG addresses with those contained in the Read Element
Status data for the drives.)

When 3581, 3583, or 3584 libraries are defined as type SCSI, TSM device
driver on Windows 2000 will control the medium-changer in the 3581, 3583
and 3584
libraries.

TSM will continue to support the definition of the library as type RSM for
those customers who wish to utilize RSM. With the introduction of the SSD
LTO technology, TSM has changed how it supports SSD tape devices and uses
the SSD device driver to control the LTO drives on the NT platforms. Now
SSD LTO customers can easily download microcode updates and perform other
serviceability functions.

NOTE: Whether RSM or TSM device driver controls the medium-changer in the
library, the SSD device driver will control the LTO drives.

The users who wish to migrate from LIBTYPE=RSM to LIBTYPE=SCSI should
procede using the following steps:
- Disable RSM.
- Install the TSM device driver and ensure it recognizes the LTO library.
(You can use tsmdlst.exe located in the utils directory for this or
use the TSM Server Utilities GUI)
- Delete the current LIBTYPE=RSM definition for the LTO library.
- Define the LTO library via the DEFINE LIBRARY command using LIBTYPE=SCSI.
- Define the drives in the LTO library via the DEFINE DRIVE command.
- Check the volumes via the CHECKIN LIBVOLUME command using SEARCH=YES.
- First use STATUS=SCRATCH.
- TSM will not check volumes defined to a storage pool or in the volume
history file into its library inventory.
- Then use STATUS=PRIVATE.
- TSM will now check volumes defined to a storage pool or in the volume
history file into its library inventory.

Mario Sunarto
Engineer - Tivoli Division

PT. Niaga Prima Paramitra
IBM Business Partner