ADSM-L

Re: Linux client pathology

2003-12-09 14:30:16
Subject: Re: Linux client pathology
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:29:27 -0500
>The messages for an electronic mail system with several thousand users
>reside in a subdirectory of /var. The messages undoubtedly should have
>gone into a separate file system, even if the file system's mount point
>were in /var.

Thomas -

The next best alternative to a separate file system is a VIRTUALMountpoint,
allowing that subset to be treated as a separate Filespace, which will
substantially reduce the Active files list obtained from the TSM server
at the start of the backup, and thus reduce overhead on the client.

Email system backups can be a pain in general because of the high volatility
of the mail spools - particularly with contemporary spam levels - making for
a lot of retries...which tend to involve multiple files, per transaction size,
which dramatically slows down the backup. (But you do want user's mail backed
up, so you prevail.)
Here, for example, are stats for our busiest mail server system (of several),
which I programatically generate at the end of each backup and append to that
backup's log, via POSTSchedulecmd:

  Number of tape mounts                     =              6
  Number of users represented               =         11,100
  Number of file systems represented        =             11
  Number of files expired (deleted)         =            329
  Number of files backed up                 =         19,991
  Number of files changed during backup     =          1,044     632
occurrences of 1 retry
                                                                 399
occurrences of 2 retries
                                                                   8
occurrences of 3 retries
                                                                   5
occurrences of 4 retries
  Number of retries because file changed    =          1,463
  Number of retries, unchanged carry-alongs =          2,896
  Number of skipped files (toomany changes) =              1
  Number of files not found (transients)    =              3
  Number of bytes processed, incl. retries  = 55,773,895,623 ( 51.94 GB)
  Number of bytes sent to server stgpool    = 52,482,139,412 ( 48.88 GB)
  Number of bytes processed in retries      =  3,291,756,211 (  3.07 GB)
  Number of directories backed up           =             68
  Number of homedir files backed up         =          4,727   sum size =
12,567,977,512    ( 11.70 GB)
                                                               avg size =
2,658,764.02 (  2.54 MB)
                                                               max size =
108,589,932    (103.56 MB, user ________)
  Number of homedir Mail subdir files       =            938   sum size =
1,907,026,661    (  1.78 GB)
                                                               avg size =
2,033,077.46 (  1.94 MB)
                                                               max size =
108,589,932    (103.56 MB, user ________)
  Number of homedir IMAP "Sent Items" files =          1,365   sum size =
8,898,966,368    (  8.29 GB)
                                                               avg size =
6,519,389.28 (  6.22 MB)
                                                               max size =
80,990,198    ( 77.24 MB, user ________)

As you can see, the mail spool population remains fairly stable (filenames =
usernames) but the files themselves are continually in transition.

Richard Sims, BU