ADSM-L

Re: SQL TDP configurations

2003-12-09 12:31:43
Subject: Re: SQL TDP configurations
From: David Benigni <dbenigni AT LUTRON DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 12:31:14 -0500
Del,

It looks like our particular problem is with the machine itself.

I guess the origin of the question start because, is backing up the SQL
databases straight to tape the correct thing to do?  What is everyone
else doing?

Thanks,

Dave

>>> hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM 12/9/2003 8:58:30 AM >>>
David,

There are many factors that could slow a backup down.
You should by trying to find out if this is a slow-down
in the network, TSM Server, tape mount wait, SQL Server, etc.

If you happen to be running Windows 2000 SP4, there is a known
problem that causes SQL Server backups to slow down and possibly
hang in certain situations. This was fixed in SQL 2000 SP3a.
This may not be the problem you are seeing, but I wanted to
point it out just in case you were running Windows 2000 SP4.

Thanks,

Del