ADSM-L

Re: TSM on AIX now, platform change coming?

2003-12-05 11:39:56
Subject: Re: TSM on AIX now, platform change coming?
From: Justin Derrick <ADSM AT JUSTINDERRICK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 11:34:05 -0500
Unless you're out of PCI slots on the RS/6k, there's really no reason
you simply can't add additional capacity and upgrade your software.
It's hard to imagine a scenario where buying all new hardware,
performing an migration, and then upgrading would be more cost
effective or reliable.  Two cards could see you with either
SAN/SCSI/SSA disk, and a new multi-terabyte jukebox.  And really, the
software upgrade for TSM is a snap, and while the AIX upgrade isn't
as simple, it's nothing that an experienced admin shouldn't be able
to handle.  You didn't give much information on the hardware you're
running, so I can't be more specific.  =)

-JD.

We are now running TSM 4.2 on an AIX box. Not only is the TSM level
unsupported, so is the AIX level. And the box is running on empty, plus we
are really tight on storage, both disk and tape.

We are looking for a new solution. A TSM upgrade is obvious. Platform is
not.

One thought is to get a new/bigger AIX box with more disk, and move to LTO
tape.

Another idea is move to Sun and LTO.

Any thoughts on comparing AIX vs. Sun for a TSM server?

While unpacking some stuff, I found the TSM Server for VM tape. We don't
have disk or tape issues with VM, so I am wondering if that is worth
pursuing. One obvious down side is that we are still on VM/ESA 2.4, but we
will be moving to z/VM after we get the cost issue under control and I
install it. Another question is tape management. We use EPIC now, will
that even work with TSM? If not, what do people running TSM on VM use for
tape management? Does anyone here actually have their TSM server on VM?

Thanks for any info or insights.

Nancy Reeves
Technical Support, Wichita State University
Nancy.Reeves AT wichita DOT edu          316-978-3860