ADSM-L

backup policy for recovery catalog

2003-12-05 10:19:50
Subject: backup policy for recovery catalog
From: alkina <alkina AT INDIATIMES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 20:51:04 +0530
Hi all,

We are putting TDP for oracle 5.2 with TSM 5.2. I need some help:

1. We have configured recovery catalog on a seprate database (different from
target database).What backup strategy should i follow in order to protect my
target database and  RMAN catalog database in case if it is a complete failure
of system and i have to do it from scratch(i will be having offsite copy of the
full database backup).

2. .Should i do a OFFLINE backup or TSM filelevel backup of all files and
init.ora file of recovery catalog database.Target database i can restore thru
recovery catalog ,but what happen if my recovery catalog is lost and i have to
rebuild again at the postion it failed.

3 If i do't use recovery catalog on separate database i.e putting it on target
database.What policy will be usefull for me to recover from a disater.We will
be doing daily full backup of target dtabase.Is it possible that i recreate a
new databse and configure it as it was before disaster,will  TDP be able to do
it if i have backup on tape or in simple words recovering a completly lost
database having recovery catalog on it,but full online and offline backup of
database on tape.

. If somebody have some documentaion,procedure or redbook on such
implementation senerio ,it is really helpfull for me.Although i do have one
redbook "backing up oracle using tivoli storage manager",but it is not solving
my purpose.

Thanks in Advance

Alkina l