ADSM-L

Re: Query dsm.opt file from TSM Server?

2003-12-04 07:17:27
Subject: Re: Query dsm.opt file from TSM Server?
From: Paul Ripke <stix AT STIX.HOMEUNIX DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 23:16:24 +1100
On Thursday, Dec 4, 2003, at 07:35 Australia/Sydney, Michael Prix wrote:

Paul Ripke:

This is exactly the scenario we have with one of our TSM servers. With
client initiated actions (backups/restores) the address/name
configured
in dsm.opt does specify the path of data taken to the server. Then,
it's
up to the routing table on the server for which path is taken by data
back to the client. So, yes, it is possible for a single connection to
run in a loop through the network - packets going in on one TSM server
ethernet card, and going out another different card.

We solved it with static routes on the TSM Server.
Observed tracffic going back to the server via the defined
defaultroute,
regardless of the netmask. No other way to force the packets to the
"right"
network. Even a static route to the network didn't work, we had to set
routes
for each client.

Static network routes will work - just remember that the gateway you
define must be on one of your locally attached subnets. We've done this
kind of thing when we've had SP switch router failures - set up an SP
node as a router, and fiddle with static network routes. Works quite
nicely. Host routes shouldn't be necessary.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/TSM/DBA