ADSM-L

Re: TSM restore media list

2003-12-03 16:00:11
Subject: Re: TSM restore media list
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 15:59:49 -0500
>I got you, Richard. This is exactly what is required from my point of view.
>We need to do a diaster recovery rehearsal, which I need to get the Required
>tapes to another location and restore whatever from there.
>
>In this case, I guess only option is to bring all the offsite tapes over and
>put them ALL into the library.

In the ideal world, our data would all be regularly sent to the DR site, where
all the tapes would be readily available - and already stored in an ATL.
The common reality, of course, is that the tapes go to a secure storage location
which is separate from the recovery site.  Server-to-server electronic
transmission of the data would be nice - but that implies a hot site, multiple
licensing, and all that.  Lots of TSM customers have had to struggle with all
this.  I would not particularly fault TSM, as the industry in general has not
adequately dealt with all the aspects of DR.  Virtual Volume technology at an
industry standard level sure would facilitate offsite work, not having to be
concerned about the vendor or tape technology used at the safe storage site
for the copy volumes which TSM transmitted there - true "happy medium".

   Richard Sims, BU