ADSM-L

Re: 3494 and tapes

2003-11-26 14:33:21
Subject: Re: 3494 and tapes
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 13:35:30 -0600
Just some things to ponder and consider:

Depending on how short of scratches you are, try (check how much they have
been used first) but remove all but the one or two 'freshest' cleaning
carts.  This could get 4 or 5 more slots for scratches.  Use your 'older'
cleaning carts during the week when you can remove them easier, and use
'fresher' carts on the weekend when they are move likely to consume several
cleanings.  You can put the older cleaning carts back in later, but put in
the correct reuse count to keep things working well.  The 3583 has library
managed cleaning tapes that are kept in slots that the library cannot
scan/manage for regular tapes, thus freeing a few slots.  I do not know if
the 3584 has a similar feature.

Possibly forgo reclamation of your offsite copypool or change how aggressive
your reclamation is during the weekend.

During the weekdays, be a little more aggressive on your reclamation of
onsite tapes.

If you set a reuse delay for your onsite tapes (especially onsite tapes),
you might reduce that, to zero if you must.  This will keep your onsite
'pending' count to zero.

If you have onsite copypool, remove all full or near full onsite copypool
tapes.

On days where you don't have someone on site, consider forgoing generating a
database backup tape.  That will save a tape or two.

These steps won't help for this weekend, but it might help a bit in the
future.  I have been having to do some of these techniques at my site. (we
only have a 3583, but the same concept is true).