ADSM-L

HowTo: Multiple Drive Direct-to-Tape Archive

2003-11-17 19:15:55
Subject: HowTo: Multiple Drive Direct-to-Tape Archive
From: Dwight McCann <dwight AT TRIXIE.ISC.UCSB DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:15:44 -0800
I asked this before but apparently didn't give enough information.  I
have a TSM 5.1.8.0 server running under Win2K with a fiber attached
Overland NEO 4100 tape library having four LTO2 tape drives.  This
system has about 800G of local disk storage. I have a user running Win2K
with the TSM 5.1.6.4 client and about 1.4T disk storage which he wants
to archive weekly.  I would like to back this client up directly to tape
during "off hours" so that my disk caching will not be neutralized. I
have defined the client with two mounts points.  The LTO2 device class
is defined with DRIVES mount limit. I have put this user into a domain
that archives directly to an LTO2 storage pool in the library. Is it
possible to cause this archive to use more than one tape drive
simultaneously? I would like it to use two drives.

I was previously pointed to the manuals and Tech Redbook but was unable
to find mention of this requirement.  The Technical Guide for 5.1 has an
item in the index called "multiple backup session" but no such
explanation exists ... it actually discusses multiple restore functions.
If I have missed the relevant manual sections I apologize.  I was also
unable to find reference to this issue at ADSM.ORG but again I may
simply have searched poorly.

--
Dwight McCann
Computer and Network Technologist, UCSB Info Systems & Computing