ADSM-L

Re: DB2 backups with multiple DB's on one host

2003-11-17 09:01:31
Subject: Re: DB2 backups with multiple DB's on one host
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:59:48 +0200
Looking at DB2 Administration Guide:
"Tivoli Storage Manager Node Name (tsm_nodename)
This parameter is used to override the default setting for the node name
associated with the Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) product. The node name is
needed to allow you to restore a database that was backed up to TSM from
another node.

The default is that you can only restore a database from TSM on the same
node from which you did the backup. It is possible for the tsm_nodename to
be overridden during a backup done through DB2 (for example, with the
BACKUP DATABASE command)."

So the parameter is for emergency recovery and is not intended for
day-to-day operations.

What you are trying to accomplish can be done in two ways:
1. Using include/exclude list each database can be bound to different TSM
management class with different destionation pools
2. Separate each database in own DB2 instance and set instance owners
environment DSMI_CONFIG accordingly. Only this way you can achieve your
two-TSM-nodes goal.

Do not forget that database configuration in DB2 is used only for
full/incremental backups. It depends on the user exit how transaction logs
are handled. You can find in same DB2 Guide:
"Only one user exit program can be invoked within a database manager
instance. ..."

Discuss the options with your DB2 DBA to select the best fit.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"French, Michael" <Michael.French AT SAVVIS DOT NET>
14.11.2003 02:05