ADSM-L

Re: Anyone done BMR on Linux??

2003-11-12 21:47:43
Subject: Re: Anyone done BMR on Linux??
From: Lloyd Dieter <dieter AT SNRGY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:47:27 -0500
You may want to have a peek at Mondo:

http://www.mondorescue.org

Once you get it set up, that will give you your "mksysb-style" bootable
media.  It's pretty useful for getting a Linux box back quickly.

I don't recommend it by itself, however...I use it as a quick method to
get the box back to where I can restore from TSM...and whatever you do,
test it before you bet the farm on it.  It tends to be very finicky about
certain things.  And just because it works OK on one
kernel/release/update, don't assume that it's OK forevermore.

-Lloyd

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 14:42:30 -0500
Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET> wrote thusly:

> Anyone care to share any experiences on doing Linux BMR?
>
> I've read through the redbook "Disaster Recovery Strategies using TSM"
> as well as the Linux-Complete-Backup-and-Recovery-Howto. I have AIX
> background, and trying to equate things...is the stage-1 backup where
> you tar the system like doing the mksysb on AIX? Except it's not
> bootable. How often would you need to do this stage-1 backup? If it's
> not as often as my incremental backups with TSM, then the restore with
> TSM would then have to include the system files to pick up any
> changes....right?
>
> Bill Boyer
> "Some days you are the bug, some days you are the windshield." - ??

    Lloyd Dieter        -       Senior Technology Consultant
                     Registered Linux User 285528
   Synergy, Inc.   http://www.synergyinc.cc   ldieter AT snrgy DOT com
             Main:585-389-1260    fax:585-389-1267