ADSM-L

Re: Server-Server DRM Configuration ...

2003-11-11 10:55:37
Subject: Re: Server-Server DRM Configuration ...
From: Bill Boyer <bill.boyer AT VERIZON DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 10:55:09 -0500
It doesn't sound like they are talking about the same thing. The consultant
sounds like he wants to backup SITE-A servers to the local TSM and then send
the copypool over to the other server via virtual volumes. Khalid wants to
backup SITE-A servers over the link directly to SITE-B TSM server. That way
when the backup is complete, the backup data is offsite to the original
server. If either site goes down, you'll still be rebuilding a TSM server,
but the clients can immediately start recovery because the data is on the
TSM server at the other site.

I've recently set up this configuration for a client. Each TSM server
creates copypool tapes that also go offsite (more for redundancy), but I
also have each server do a DBSnapshot across server-to-server in addition to
the DBBackup that goes offsite. Lots of redundancy....it's a government
agency!

The only issue is the recoveries or just restores going across that link
during business hours.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.