ADSM-L

Re: AS/400 backup to TSM

2003-11-11 06:01:57
Subject: Re: AS/400 backup to TSM
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 12:00:46 +0100
Hi Joe

Thats correct. Only the "user data" can be backed up using BRMS and the
TSM api.

To backup all system-defined objects, you will still need to use a locally
attached tape library/drive.

We've also seen perfomance issues with this solution, as the BRMS and TSM
api first backs up to disk, and then transfers the data to the TSM server.
During testing, making backups to a locally attached LTO1 drive fast 7
times faster than transfering the data to the TSM server(which was based
on AIX).

I dont know what kind of library you are using, but another way of going
at it is partitioning the library(if you're library has this option) so
that the AS/400 can have it's own drives within the library.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 TÄBY
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Joe Crnjanski <JCrnjanski AT INFINITYNETWORK DOT COM>
2003-11-10 18:35