ADSM-L

TSM licensing again

2003-11-07 06:35:52
Subject: TSM licensing again
From: Przemysław Maciuszko <sal AT AGORA DOT PL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:35:32 +0100
Hi.
I've read all the previous messages about this topic, but I still have some
questions.
We've been asked by IBM to count our client's processors number.
IBM says that now we will have to pay for licensing:

1. TSM Server - this is based on the number of processors used by clients
being backuped up on this server
2. TSM Clients - number of nodes using the TSM Server

The overall cost consists of those two.

Maybe I'm missing something in here, but the first part is somehow...

We have few machines but highly equipped (mostly 10+ CPUs per unit), so the
fees for us are very high. Is it the _right_ way of licensing or just the
Polish sales team is missing something important in their way of thinking?

--
Przemysław Maciuszko
Agora SA