ADSM-L

Re: [tsm] Perl TSM daily reporting script.

2003-11-07 01:54:20
Subject: Re: [tsm] Perl TSM daily reporting script.
From: Jurjen Oskam <jurjen-tsm AT STUPENDOUS DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 07:54:00 +0100
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 06:37:15PM +0000, Patrick Audley wrote:

>     David> Patrick, Looks nice.  But I hope you aren't going to rely
>     David> on the schedule completion status to tell you whether a
>     David> backup has been successful.  You really need to mine the
>     David> last backup dates of q filespace f=d (or the equiv select).
>
>     Ah... no I hadn't realized that :)  I'm actually quite new to TSM
> and this is exactly the feedback that I was hoping to get.  I've added
> that to the todo list.

Yes, I've been bitten by this. A Windows 2000 client ran the Client
Acceptor under the LocalSystem account. One day, the Windows administrator
changed a drive to exclude LocalSystem from having access. The TSM client
didn't use a DOMAIN statement.

This resulted in that drive to be skipped without *any* message, warning or
error. If the drive would have been in a DOMAIN statement, an error would have
been issued.

There is an APAR for this behaviour, but that is closed as a suggestion
because IBM finds it too much trouble to fix.

--
Jurjen Oskam

PGP Key available at http://www.stupendous.org/