ADSM-L

Re: Damaged volume

2003-11-04 23:41:09
Subject: Re: Damaged volume
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 22:40:40 -0600
From:   James Choate [mailto:jchoate AT SOURCE1INC DOT COM]
>I have a small TSM server that has a damaged volume.  The volume has a small
>amount of data on it, .7 %.  The volume was dropped by the operator and
>damaged.  I currently do not have a copy storage pool on site.  I do have a
>copy storage pool, but it is for offsite tapes.
My question is, what is the best and safest way to rebuild this volume?

Volume 100ABN is damaged.  It was in the primary pool, and the operator took it
out of the library and dropped it.<

The following is the proper (and only) method to restore a damaged volume:

1. Run UPDATE VOLUME 100ABN ACCESS=DESTROYED. This will enable step #2.
2. Run RESTORE VOLUME 100ABN PREVIEW=YES. Review the results in the activity
log to get the names of the copy pool volumes required to rebuild the volume.
3. Have those copy pool volumes brought onsite and check them into the library
as private volumes.
4. Run RESTORE VOLUME 100ABN. When the restore completes, volume 100ABN will
become a scratch tape. Pitch it.

You're done.