ADSM-L

Mixed Device Classes in Same Library

2003-10-31 16:24:28
Subject: Mixed Device Classes in Same Library
From: "Slaughter, Bill" <BillSlaughter AT TUPPERWARE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:24:02 -0500
I am using both the HP Tape Device Driver (GENERICTAPE) and the new TSM Tape
Device Driver (DLT - Format DLT35) both formats are being used in the same
library.

Some of the drives have been converted to the new TSM Device driver and some
remain GENERIC DLT.

I keep getting the TSMDEVICE tapes mounted in the wrong drives (The
GENERICTAPE ones). When this happens I get an error message i.e. ANR1156W
Move data process terminated for volume XXXXXX - internal server error
detected. I have done some searching past lists messages and have not found
any matches yet.

If I offline the GENERICTAPE drives and rerun then the tapes are forced to
be mounted on the TSMDEVICE drives. And this works but it requires spoon
feeding the tape movement.

Both Device Classes use the DLT IV tapes and the reason I am not fully using
the TSM device driver is due to a bug where it eats CPU. (That PMR is being
worked on).

I have seen the problem with SPACE RECLAMATION and MOVE DATA. The problem
does not seem to happen for MIGRATION. If anybody has any ideas please let
me know or I will place a support call next week.

Environment:

TSM Server 5.1.7.2

HP V2500 32 CPU - HP-UX 11.0

STK 9710 DLT7000 (8 Drives)