ADSM-L

Re: Rapid DB Growth

2003-10-27 20:17:42
Subject: Re: Rapid DB Growth
From: Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:14:53 +1000
Another one that I've often had is where the Windows admins don't trust TSM (
for no good reason that I can see)

So, in before a change they copy the entire directory tree to another place,
then run their update process.
This results  in one new whole copy of everything, plus massive changes.

Its human nature and you can't change it, so you've got to accept it.

Steve.

On Monday, Oct 27, 2003, at 23:41 Australia/Sydney, Richard Sims wrote:

>> I am having a problem with the DB increasing quite rapidly on our TSM
>> 5.1.2
>> os/390 server.  It has a 60 GB database and over the weekend it went
>> from
>> 77% utilization to 88% utilization.  Does anyone have any suggestions
>> on
>> where to look or what may be causing the DB to fill so quickly? ...
>
> Joni - See "Database consumption factors" in
>        http://people.bu.edu/rbs/ADSM.QuickFacts
> Runaway archiving is a frequently cited cause; or the sudden population
> growth of a backed up file system (many small files).
> A simple way to check for who's adding a lot of data is to get the
> volnames
> of recent, busy output tapes and do Query Content on them.

A good one that gets us frequently is global ACL changes on NT servers
with
a few million files. Forces a full backup, and adds quite a few million
objects to the TSM DB.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/TSM/DBA

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the
sole use of the intended recipients(s).  This confidentiality is not waived or
lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is
transmitted/received in error.

Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this
email is prohibited.  It may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality
if it relates to health service matters.

If you are not the intended recipients(s), or if you have received this e-mail
in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone or by
return e-mail.  You should also delete this e-mail message and destroy any hard
copies produced.