ADSM-L

Re: TSM on Linux for zSeries w/ 3494

2003-10-27 12:10:17
Subject: Re: TSM on Linux for zSeries w/ 3494
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:08:15 -0500
> I apologize if this question has been asked already.
> I have installed SuSE SLES 8 and TSM Server 5.2 on a MP3K H30 with a 3494
> Library attached. Next Step is to define the 3494 Library to TSM.
>
> The only way (as far as I found out) to connect the Library is via TCP/IP or
> a serial (tty) device. But the drives in the 3494 are ESCON attached.
>
> Has anyone done this already, and is there another way to this without a
> TCP/IP connection from Linux/390 to the 3494?

We have not gotten as far as installing Linux for this purpose, but our
research indicates that you will indeed need a LAN connection (more
specifically, an Ethernet or Token Ring connection) from Linux to the
library. Our research also indicates that you will need FCP (Fibre
Channel Protocol) connections from Linux to the tape drives. As usual
with recent hardware, only the variant of FCP that uses switches is
supported; point to point and arbitrated loop connections are not
supported. The main sources for these conclusions are the device support
Web page for TSM:

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBM_TSM_Supported_Devic
es_for_Linux.html#IBM%20Magstar%20Tape%20Products

which states that the IBMtape device driver is required, the README page
for the driver:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Linux/SLES8/IBMtape_Magstar_zSeries
.ReadMe

which states that only FCP attachment is supported, and the device driver
documentation page:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/storage/devdrvr/Doc/

which contains documents stating that FCP is required for tape drive
attachment and that Ethernet or Token Ring is required for tape library
attachment.

One of my co-workers reports seeing the same attachment requirements
in Web accessible copies of handouts from IBM presentations to
SHARE and other user groups.