ADSM-L

Re: NO tapes!!!

2003-10-26 10:32:20
Subject: Re: NO tapes!!!
From: Ken Chamberlain <ken.chamberlain AT UTORONTO DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 10:26:58 -0500
When you say no tape backup produced, I am going to infer that you mean no
tapes are being produced for offsite storage.  If this isn't happening, you
MAY have run out of scratch tapes.  The following select will display
storage pools that are close to their limit of tapes:

select stgpools.stgpool_name, stgpools.maxscratch, count(*) \
from stgpools , volumes \
where stgpools.stgpool_name = volumes.stgpool_name \
and volumes.devclass_name = '3590' \
group by stgpools.stgpool_name, stgpools.maxscratch \
having stgpools.maxscratch-count(*) < 4

If you have any storage pools that are using their total complement of
tapes, you need to give them more:
update stgpool <pool name> maxscratch=<a higher number than it has now>

The other possibility is that you have run out of scratch tapes entirely.
To account for all your current tapes:
q vol  -- lists all tapes in storage pools.  You might count them by status
and access type, recognizing status=readonly and access=unavailable as error
conditions.  status=empty is unusual unless access=offsite.

q libv <library name> status=Scratch  -- lists all scratch tapes in your
library

q volhist type=dbb -- lists all the TSM database backup tapes

This SHOULD account for all your tapes (onsite or off), except that I have
occasionally found that offsite TSM database backup tapes can get "lost"
when they come back ... usually a checkin error.  You could try a "checkin
scratch search=yes" type checkin command or look for q libv <libname>
status=private tapes that are not listed in q vol.  (If I find any of these
I usually just update their status to scratch).

If you can account for all your tapes but you still have no scratch, check
to make sure expiry is happening. (q pr), perhaps run expiry explicitly (
expire inventory) and watch for what happens (q ac se=expir).

Another thing to check for is offsite copypool tapes in need of reclamation
(pct_reclaim > say 60).  Remember to always set reclaim down from 100
slowly.  If you set reclaim on a storage pool directly to 60, it may take
several days to reclaim all available tapes at the 60 percent level.  You
may have to settle for a higher reclaim percentage (say 80).  Note you can
generate scratch tapes by temporarily deleting more TSM backup than normal
(to get reclamation running again).

If you can account for all your tapes, but you have no scratch and
expiration and reclamation are both running, you may simply need more tapes
(or review management policies and keep fewer copies).

Ken Chamberlain
University of Toronto
Phone:(416) 978-1582
Fax:  (416) 971-2085
E-mail: ken.chamberlain AT utoronto DOT ca