ADSM-L

Solaris TSM device driver and STK9840 FC drives

2003-10-24 04:31:12
Subject: Solaris TSM device driver and STK9840 FC drives
From: "Tomáš Hrouda Ing." <throuda AT HTD DOT CZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 10:30:53 +0200
Hi all,

I need solve some problem or rather TSM system strategy concerning using (or
not) of TSM device driver on Solaris. I am not Solaris guru, I have only
basic knowledge, in oposit our Solaris people have no idea about TSM.

We have stabilized TSM environment with TSM server on W2000 using STK9310
Powderhorn with STK9840 and STK9940 drives. Drives are connected to W2000
through SN/6000. Library is controled by Gresham EDT. In W2000 system we
need to use STK drivers (no problem) for FC drives, so TSM device driver is
not started and used.

Now we decided put ito operation TSM Solaris with similar TSM environment -
it means the same FC STK drives connected through SN/6000, using Gresham EDT
to control library. Now in solaris system I see 16 virtual drives (2x 8 on 2
FC HBA). There is STK driver module instaled in system (st device driver in
/kernel/drv) an loaded (when I put 'modinfo | grep -i scsi' ... I see "st
(scsi tape device driver)"). In /dev/rmt I see 24 different devices for each
FC drive numbered 0*-15* (see attached ls.txt).

Question:
1.  Do I need install and use TSM device driver to use this FC drives
through Gresham EDT? I expect that TSM device driver create its own *mt
devices linked to some of existing /dev/rmt devices and I will use these *mt
devices in Gresham configuration file. I tried to install it but if failed
to attach with drives and create *mt devices.

2.  If not, which of existing devices am i supposed to use with Gresham and
TSM to use this drives?

Environment: Solaris 9 at SunFire 6800, TSM v5.2.1.0 server
STK drives are configured at HBAs through jnic164x drivers

Thanks for any suggestion.
Tomas