ADSM-L

Here's an intersting event . . . Part 2 (longish)

2003-10-23 14:23:15
Subject: Here's an intersting event . . . Part 2 (longish)
From: Tom Kauffman <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 13:21:12 -0500
OK -- next step is to get current on the TSM client and the TDP_r3 client.

Both installers are broken under AIX.

I select this to install (install and update from all available software):
    I:tivoli.tsm.client.api.aix51.64bit 5.1.6.9
    tivoli.tsm.client.ba.aix51.64bit.base 5.1.6.9
    tivoli.tsm.client.ba.aix51.64bit.common 5.1.6.9
    tivoli.tsm.client.ba.aix51.64bit.web 5.1.6.9

The preview runs clean, but I get this error on the install:

 #***************************************************************#
  tivoli.tsm.client.ba.aix51.64bit.common and
tivoli.tsm.client.ba.aix43.32bit.c
ommon
  can not be installed together.   You must choose which one to
  install.   Aborting installation of fileset:
             tivoli.tsm.client.ba.aix51.64bit.common.
 #***************************************************************#
Failure occurred during pre_rm.
Failure occurred during rminstal.

Excuse me, I *did* choose which one to install!

So I un-install the TSM 4.2.1.11 client code by hand and re-run the TSM 5.1
install.

Then I install the TDP_R3 code. First of all, this is now a java-based
graphical install. There is a note in the README file on the FTP site
indicating that it can be installed on a serial console -- consult the
TIPHINTS file for the procedure. And to get the TIPHINTS file? Just run the
graphical install . . .

Next, as part of the install, the TDP code suggests a sample directory to
put the executables in:

/oracle/SBX/sapmnt/SBX/SYS/exe/run

Now we've been running SAP since the 3.0D days -- and the executables live
in /sapmnt/SID/exe but are referenced by the path /usr/sap/SID/SYS/exe/run
which symlinks to the /sapmnt/SID/exe directory. So where did this
incredibly bad amalgamation suggestion come from?

Alright - I fix the path, finish the install, indicating that I'm doing an
update and not a new install -- and then can't find backint. It seems that,
since the symlinks are still there from the prior release, they haven't been
replaced (even though I did uninstall TDP_R3 with the 4.2.x client code).

Now, having complained about the install -- at least the product works. I
successfully restored the online backup from yesterday that failed twice
yesterday and once today on the older API and TDP/R3.

However (there's ALWAYS a 'however') -- the new code takes longer!

Restoring the off-line backup with TSM 4.2.1.11 and TDP_R3 3.2.0.8:
BKI1215I: Average transmission rate was 39.785 GB/h (11.317 MB/sec).
BKI0020I: End of program at: Wed Oct 22 14:04:06 2003 .
BKI0021I: Elapsed time: 48 min 52 sec .
BKI0024I: Return code is: 0.

And the same restore, with the TSM server less heavily loaded, with the TSM
API 5.1.6.9 and TDP_R3 3.3.2.0:
BKI1215I: Average transmission rate was 29.048 GB/h (8.263 MB/sec).
BKI0020I: End of program at: Thu Oct 23 13:07:10 2003 .
BKI0021I: Elapsed time: 01 h 06 min 54 sec .
BKI0024I: Return code is: 0.

Apologies if I've bored anyone; not responsible for anyone falling asleep
and bashing their forehead into the keyboard.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments are for the exclusive
and confidential use of the intended recipient.  If you are not the intended
recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in reliance upon this
message. If you have received this in error, please notify us immediately by
return e-mail and promptly delete this message and its attachments from your
computer system. We do not waive attorney-client or work product privilege by
the transmission of this message.