ADSM-L

Re: TSM Storage Pool Hierarchy Question

2003-10-21 12:04:48
Subject: Re: TSM Storage Pool Hierarchy Question
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:00:59 -0500
Answering only your questions 3, 3b, and 4...

For the remote database backups at least, your RS can become a client of
the MS, and can back up its database to the MS. From the MS perspective,
the RS is just a regular backup/archive client doing an archive
operation on a rather big file. The MS stores those DB backups in its
storage pool heirarchies just like any other archive files for a client
node, including expiring them when they're no longer needed. It's
actually better to back up your DB to another TSM system, rather than
backing it up to local tape, because it uses far fewer tape volumes by
stacking multiple DB backups on a single tape.

This setup is fairly well described in the TSM Admin Guide. Evaluate it,
however, in terms of disaster recovery - you cannot lose both TSM
servers at once, so the two should not be in the same location.

I know I am still leaving your first 2 questions unanswered.