ADSM-L

Re: What to do with archives when deleting a client

2003-10-21 10:08:05
Subject: Re: What to do with archives when deleting a client
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:06:00 -0400
Why remove the client node definition?  You don't have to license nodes
that you aren't backing up.  (How many processors does that node have?
Zero).

>>> rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM 10/21/2003 9:30:06 AM >>>
We have systems where we have archived data where I can see the life of
the
archive data
will far out lasting the client system itself.

So, say you have a client system that is being removed from service.
It's
ok to delete
all backups for the client and remove the client from TSM.  But, the
client
has archive
files that you want to keep.

Q)  Short of restoring the archives and re-archiving from a different
client, is there
anyway within TSM to move the archives to a different client?

It funny, but I've often thought that there should be a way to archive
data
so that
it isn't attached to any particular client system . . . .maybe there is
. .
. .

Thanks!

Richard Rhodes

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the
reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
notified that you have received this document in error and that any
review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is
please notify us immediately, and delete the original message.