ADSM-L

TSM Storage Pool Hierarchy Question

2003-10-20 19:43:02
Subject: TSM Storage Pool Hierarchy Question
From: Curt Watts <cwatts AT CAPCOLLEGE.BC DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 16:41:05 -0700
Alright, time to ask the experts!

Essentially, I'm trying to have our remote TSM servers (satellite
locations) utilize the main TSM server as the next storage pool in it's
hierarchy.

The hierarchy will eventually look like this:

Remote Server (RS) Disk Cache
  -Main Server (MS) Disk Cache
     -MS Tape Pool
         -MS Offsite Copy Pool

Questions I have:
1) Is this possible?
2) Can I do this without the DR module?
3) How does the RS backup it's database - because it won't backup to
the local disk?
3b) Should the RS backup it's DB directly to tape? and if so, how is it
possible to share the tape library with no NAS?
4) Should I just break down and put some tape drives out there to
handle the DBs?

Current setup:
  MS: W2k sp4, TSM v4.3.2, IBM 3853 w/ 54 slots & 2 LTO drives.
  RS: W2k sp4, TSM v5.2.0

Thanks everyone.

Curt Watts

Curt Watts