ADSM-L

Re: Online DB Reorg

2003-10-20 13:05:12
Subject: Re: Online DB Reorg
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 13:03:23 -0400
That query (taken here from ADSM.QuickFacts) confuses me entirely - can
someone please explain?

SELECT CAST((100 - (     CAST(MAX_REDUCTION_MB AS FLOAT) * 256 )  /
(CAST(USABLE_PAGES AS FLOAT) -
                                         CAST(USED_PAGES AS FLOAT) ) * 100)
AS
                                         DECIMAL(4,2)) AS PERCENT_FRAG FROM
DB

It finds the number of unused pages (usable_pages - used_pages).

Then it takes max-reduction and divides by unusable pages.

But, so what?  I don't get it.

The unusable pages - max_reduction tells you how much of your data base is
NOT usable.

BUT again, so what?

That doesn't say whether you need to do a data base reorg or not, does it?

If my max reduction is 8 pages and my unused pages are 10, I've got 2
unusable pages.
But if my data base is 1,000,000 pages, that certainly isn't much
"fragmentation", the way a DB administrator (or space manager) would
traditionally see it.  Certainly no reason to do a DB reorg.

WHY isn't the division done with the total usable pages as the numerator?
The data base size has to enter in to the decision to reorg, somehwere.
I'm confoooooooooooosed....

(But then, it's Monday....)