ADSM-L

Re: / /OREF:CPT444C5 TSM - Too many tapes being used

2003-10-18 13:16:00
Subject: Re: / /OREF:CPT444C5 TSM - Too many tapes being used
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 12:14:12 -0500
Backing up to a disk storage pool of some kind will help. Plain JBOD
disks are fine. The closer you get to 300gb of space in your disk
storage pools, the fewer tapes you will use. The TSM Administrators
Guide says that the ideal is to have your disk storage pool large enough
to accomodate all data backed up in an average day. Even if you can't
achieve that, and migration has to kick in several times during your
backup window, you will still achieve more efficient tape utilization by
backing up to disk and letting migration write the tapes.

Go through your activity log and look at tape mounts, and see if you can
tell when and why they are being mounted. Do a

select session_id,client_name,mount_point_wait,input_vol_access,-
output_vol_access from adsm.sessions

periodically to see which client backup session has which tape mounted
and you can probably figure this thing out. That tape that only gets
0.7% full might already be mounted when the next client starts to back
up that might fill it efficiently, so a new tape is mounted.

If you've been following this list, you know I've been struggling with
disk storage pools filling up. One side effect I see is that, when
client nodes back up directly to tape, I get a LOT more "Filling" tapes.
These are absorbed by themselves when I do my job, watch disk storage
pool fullness, control migration thresholds properly, etc. In theory you
should have the same number of Filling tapes as your MIGPROCESS setting,
although usually in practice there are 1 or 2 more.

You have to wonder why it seems to act as though collocation were in
effect, when client nodes back up directly to tape. The only answer I
have is, "That's just how it works." The system was designed to be run
most efficiently with large disk storage pools.

======I have not lost my mind -- it is backed up on tape somewhere.=====