ADSM-L

Re: / /OREF:CPT444C5 TSM - Too many tapes being used

2003-10-17 15:11:56
Subject: Re: / /OREF:CPT444C5 TSM - Too many tapes being used
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:09:55 +0200
On Friday, Oct 17, 2003, at 17:29 Europe/Amsterdam, Cecily Hewlett
wrote:

Please help me.

I am backing up 7 nodes, running TSM 5.1 on AIX 5.1 and AIX 4.3.3.
Total data backed up = +- 300 GB.
I am using an LTO3583 library, with 3 x 3580 drives, across a SAN.

Backup times are great, but TSM is being v. wasteful with tapes
using up to 7 tapes every night, some of them only have 0.7%
utilization.

I am not using collocation, or a copy pool.
I tried to use a diskpool on my shark and then move the data to tape,
but , SANergy is not supported by IBM.

Does anyone have any suggestions.???

do you do reclamation? inventory expiration? 300GB/day seems like an
awfull lot for just 7 nodes... do you do proper incrementals?

btw, copypools are a good idea, tapes do fail when you try to read them
(according to murphy...)

Cecily Hewlett

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Remco Post

SARA - Reken- en Netwerkdiensten                      http://www.sara.nl
High Performance Computing  Tel. +31 20 592 8008    Fax. +31 20 668 3167

"I really didn't foresee the Internet. But then, neither did the
computer
industry. Not that that tells us very much of course - the computer
industry
didn't even foresee that the century was going to end." -- Douglas Adams