ADSM-L

Multiple nodenames for Solaris client

2003-10-15 11:03:50
Subject: Multiple nodenames for Solaris client
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT MAIL.TJU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:01:05 -0400
> Hi All,
>  I have a Solaris client that needs to perform a couple of different
> backup/archive schedules. I would like to use multiple schedulers.
>
>  For my WIN clients I just use different opt files with different nodenames
> for the archive and backup schedules. Can I perform the same with Solaris ?
> If so, how ?

You really don't need two schedulers unless you need to have some of
the scheduled events run concurrently. We have a couple of systems
that have two schedules associated with one node name.

We have occasionally run two scheduler processes on one client. We
set up multiple stanzas in dsm.sys with a 'servername' line at the
start of each stanza. We have always specified a different value
for 'tcpclientport' in each stanza, although I suspect we could get
away with not doing this. You would need an explicit 'nodename'
specification for all but one of the stanzas, and you would need to
register the non-default node names on the server. You could then
start the scheduler processes using command lines like:

/usr/bin/dsmc sched -servername=SCHED2 >/dev/null 2>&1