ADSM-L

Re: Too many DRM tapes leaving 3949 library daily.

2003-10-14 09:40:43
Subject: Re: Too many DRM tapes leaving 3949 library daily.
From: Alan Davenport <Alan.Davenport AT SELECTIVE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 09:38:40 -0400
3590H tapes which hold 60GB uncompressed. I've seen as much as 297GB fit on
a tape using the tape drive's compression and compressible data (SQL
databases). I'm backing up much less that that per night per server. The
largest critical server is only 31GB on average. NONE of them should take up
more than one tape per night each. Since the tapes leave daily almost empty
they are immediately eligible for reclamation. I would expect that the next
day backup storage pool to offsite should go to the tapes that were create
during reclamation and not to scratches. As I monitor maintenance processing
this seems to be the case. I do not understand why so many tapes should be
ejected from the library. It's taking quite some time to eject the tapes
each day and an equal amount of time to insert all the onsiteretreive tapes.
I'm hoping that someone can point to where I should look. I've verified that
the non-critical pool is NOT collocated and that THAT pool is pointed to by
the default management class. I have to set up an include statements in the
DSM.OPT files to point nodes to the critical (collocated) pool so I'm fairly
confident that nodes are not going there that do not belong there.

        Take care,
            Al

Alan Davenport
Senior Storage Administrator