ADSM-L

Re: dsmsrvc.exe RAM usage

2003-10-09 16:24:32
Subject: Re: dsmsrvc.exe RAM usage
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 15:21:54 -0500
Bill,

We use the TSM client service on several large Windows file servers.  The
primary factor that I know of that affects client memory usage is the size
of the client aggregates.  In other words, if you have TXNBYTELIMIT set
very high, the TSM client must hold the files in memory while it builds
the aggregate.

On my servers, the idling service uses between 4 and 8 MB.  During
backups, especially when I had the TXNBYTELIMIT set to 128 MB, the real
memory (the Windows "working set") was close to 160 MB.  Luckily we have
768 MB in that machine!

At this time I have a TXNBYTELIMIT of 48 MB set on all nodes.  That seems
a good compromise between client performance and memory usage.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram LLC

William Rosette <Bill_Rosette AT PAPAJOHNS DOT COM>
10/09/2003 09:45 AM