ADSM-L

tape errors after 3590H upgrade - K tape - 3592s

2003-10-09 14:24:19
Subject: tape errors after 3590H upgrade - K tape - 3592s
From: Jason Lee <english AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 11:22:34 -0700
Hi,

A couple of months ago we upgraded our 3590E drives to H. Marked
everything as readonly.. moved all the data to "new" (scratch) tape so
as not to mix formats on the tape. etc etc etc

Now I'm noticing a high number of media errors. I'm assuming that some
of the old tape is not up to supporting 384 tracks. The question is,
how does one go about finding out which tapes are good and which bad,
preferably *before* actually trying to use them, which grinds
everything to a halt as TSM gives up on the tape for the operation and
promptly turns around and tries it again.

Does relabeling the volumes exercise the tape at all?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

On a related note... anyone having problems with K tape in 3590H
drives? We're thinking of moving over to all K for the increase in
capacity. Anyone got a 3592 or two... how are those working out?

Thanks!

Jason