ADSM-L

Re: Hyper-threaded CPU's

2003-10-09 09:03:52
Subject: Re: Hyper-threaded CPU's
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:56:39 +0100
I don't know the answer to this, but as a side-note, there are big
differences between how Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 handle
HyperThreading: as a result, Windows 2000 boxes with HyperThreading
enabled (toggled in the BIOS usually) can suffer performance hits in
some circumstances.

It stems, so I understand, from the fact that Windows 2000 isn't able to
discriminate between a logical and a physical CPU. Say in a twin
physically processored box, it would see four different standalone CPUs.
When it comes to allocating threads between processors, it isn't able to
balance them between the physical processors, only logical ones - the
result can be that a single physical processor can get over loaded
whilst another physical processor is relatively scarcely loaded.

Windows 2003, on the other hand, is supposedly aware of HyperThreading,
and takes the physical processors into account when allocating jobs. I'm
not sure how much of an issue this might be with a standalone TSM
server, but I've heard of Oracle people moaning about this and turning
HyperThreading off. Definitely worth a little research...

Anyone any offers on the above? I'd be interested to learn of others'
experiences or thoughts, as we too have some Win2K hyperthreaded servers
(DL380 G3's) running TSM Server.

Rgds,

David McClelland
Management Systems Integrator
Global Management Systems
Reuters
85 Fleet Street
London EC4P 4AJ

E-mail                  david.mcclelland AT reuters DOT com
Reuters Messaging       david.mcclelland.reuters.com AT reuters DOT net