ADSM-L

Answer: dsmfmt file size

2003-10-03 16:16:35
Subject: Answer: dsmfmt file size
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 15:07:38 -0500
I posted questions last March about how to calculate the maximum file
size to specify on dsmfmt if you want to fill the entire disk up with
the database/log/filepool extent you are allocating.

The only answer I got then involved voodoo incantations, and magical
formulas that didn't work, involving inode settings in the filesystem.

Now I know the answer. It's easy:

1. Be on ITSM Server Version 5.1 or later. This was new in 5.1.

2. Overestimate and issue the command. It is important to overestimate,
not underestimate.

3. You'll get an error message from dsmfmt saying you are asking for too
much. What is new, and completely WONDERFUL, is that this error message
now tells you exactly how big you can specify. Plug that number in and
run it again.

(TIP: The ls -l command is a progress indicator for dsmfmt.)

Thank you, whoever at IBM did this! If you have read my earlier post
today, you should know that this feature is saving me an ENORMOUS amount
of time - today!

=========An optimist is someone who says a glass is half full.==========
===A pessimist says it's half empty. An engineering consultant says,====
========"Looks like you've got twice as much glass as you need."========