ADSM-L

Re: TSM & DR

2003-10-02 14:12:42
Subject: Re: TSM & DR
From: Jin Bae Chi <Jbaechi AT CSCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 14:10:33 -0400
Can

>>> spr AT REXX.ACSU.BUFFALO DOT EDU 10/01/03 02:00PM >>>
show volumeusage [nodename]

certainly helps...note too that the "show" commands are undocumented and
unsupported.

On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Rowan O'Donoghue wrote:

> Agreed, it is probably the most important shortcoming!
>
> In terms of when a DR is performed for a client, surely the TSM client
> performs a similar query with the TSM server to identify the files
> required to be restored?
>
> Maybe there's a smooth streamlined script for this purpose that IBM just
> dont want us to have ;)
>
> Ah well.... will keep on looking......
>
> regards,
>
> Rowan O'Donoghue
> Technical Services Manager
> Unitech Systems
> Bracken Business Park
> Bracken Road
> Sandyford Industrial Estate
> Dublin 18.
>
> Tel:  + 353 - 1 - 2942300
> Fax: + 353 - 1 - 2942319
> www.unitech-ie.com
>

> Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
> 01/10/2003 17:35
> Please respond to
> "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

> ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> cc
>
> Subject
> Re: TSM & DR
>

> >The one thing I've always found to be a downside to TSM is the ability to
> >easily identify the EXACT amount of tapes required to rebuild an
> >environment to it's most current state. ...
>
> That has been a Holy Grail quest for us customers.  There remains no
> feasible
> way to get such a list from the product.  This condition probably stems
> from
> the product philosophy of being file-oriented rather than tape-oriented,
> in
> that the customer need not be concerned with the current tapes upon which
> the files reside.  Obviously, DR needs conflict with that neatness, and so
> we all would like to see the product accommodate such needs.
>
>    Richard Sims, BU

Steve Roder, University at Buffalo
HOD Service Coordinator
VM Systems Programmer
UNIX Systems Administrator (Solaris and AIX)
TSM/ADSM Administrator
(spr AT buffalo DOT edu | (716)645-3564)