ADSM-L

Re: Tape Technology Comparison

2003-10-02 03:13:06
Subject: Re: Tape Technology Comparison
From: "Pole, Stephen" <Stephen.Pole AT HEALTH.WA.GOV DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:11:17 +0800
Here's another one.

Try this link it may help you.

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/software/tivoli/analystreports/tsm.pdf

or
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/tivoli/library/analystreports/

As for STK vs 34XX. I've used 3494 for years. A few of the sites I have had
have a mixture of 3494 +  STK PowderHorns etc.. all with 3590's. All are
reliable. Rarely have trouble. Some are more than 6 - 7 years old. ATL's
will more than likely outlast your servers and tape drives! Afterall what is
there to wear out??

On the drive side, tape access speeds are good. But where we have long tape
retention times, read/write speed, and reliablity are all important. On the
other hand we also use the TSM API for cutting pieces out of the data stored
within TSM so there is a lot of start stop activity. Hence, the 3590, 3590E.

Guess it depends on the size you bosses piggy bank :-)
Cheers