ADSM-L

Re: Path definition

2003-10-01 18:10:01
Subject: Re: Path definition
From: Dmitri Pasyutin <pasd AT MAIL DOT RU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 00:08:16 +0200
On Wednesday 01 October 2003 22:49, Sylvia Nergard wrote:
> My environment is TSM 5.2 on Windows 2000, tapelibrary is 3583 lto on the
> SAN.
>
> II wonder.....when defining path for tapelibrary and drives, should the
> device parameter be \\.\Tape0 and Changer0 (which is how Windows sees the
> devices?)etc, or mt0.0.0.1 an lb1.0.0.1(which is how TSM sees the
> devices?)?
> What decides which device name we are going to use in such cases?
> I'm running IBM Windows device driver for both library and drives.

From my experience it is better to use the TSM device driver and device names,
this way the drive type will be detected correctly. When I first installed a
Windows TSM server (on NT4) and used the native Windows driver, TSM was
seeing my DLT4000 drives as of type 'GENERICTAPE' and not 'DLT' (as with the
TSM device driver), and I was unable to get any data on tape.

But maybe this is no longer the case on Win2K.

Regards,
Dmitri