ADSM-L

TSM & DR

2003-10-01 12:14:54
Subject: TSM & DR
From: Rowan O'Donoghue <R.ODonoghue AT UNITECH-IE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 16:46:12 +0100
All,

The one thing I've always found to be a downside to TSM is the ability to
easily identify the EXACT amount of tapes required to rebuild an
environment to it's most current state. I have wrote SQL scripts
previously which performs a query against each TSM client and it's
filespaces for those files marked as "ACTIVE" and then linked to the tape
which held these files.

select distinct(con.volume_name) from contents con,backups bak where
concat(concat(bak.hl_name,' '),
bak.ll_name)=con.file_name and bak.state='ACTIVE_VERSION' and
con.node_name='STEGANOS' and con.type='Bkup'

The trouble with this query/script is that it took forever for it to run
and would not be much use during  a DR scenario.

Is there a simpler way to do this? Again, rather than recall all offsite
pool tapes, I only want the bare minimum to recover the systems to their
most recent state.

regards,

Rowan O'Donoghue
Technical Services Manager