ADSM-L

Re: Incremental backups on file systems that contain a large numb er of files

2003-10-01 11:09:18
Subject: Re: Incremental backups on file systems that contain a large numb er of files
From: "Wheelock, Michael D" <Michael.Wheelock AT INTEGRIS-HEALTH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 10:06:54 -0500
Hi,

I will throw this out there, though it is a wintel solution and will not
function as a solution under aix.  We had a system with about 3 million
files.  The disk was SAN attached and quite speedy.  The system was
gig-ethernet attached and had no cpu/memory bottlencks.  Journaling wasn't
an option as this was a clustered system.  The incremental backup (all 400MB
of it) took around 10 hours for these 3 million files.  I tried just about
everything, but at various points, the backup would slow to a crawl (just
from doing an analysis on the entries in the dsmsched.log (the timestampe --
### files processed entries)).  I eventually began trying off the wall
stuff.  The thing that fixed us up was running the scheduler as a domain
user.  The backup now takes 45 minutes.  I have no idea why, but this may
help someone else on a wintel platform deal with a very similar issue.

Michael Wheelock
Integris Health of Oklahoma