ADSM-L

SV: Incremental backups on file systems that contain a large number of files

2003-10-01 09:56:15
Subject: SV: Incremental backups on file systems that contain a large number of files
From: "Pedersen.Michael Benny MIP" <MIP AT KMD DOT DK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:51:33 +0200
You can use journal backup.

- Michael

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: Mark Trancygier [mailto:TrancygM AT TRINITY-HEALTH DOT ORG]
Sendt: 1. oktober 2003 15:28
Til: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Emne: Incremental backups on file systems that contain a large number of
files

We are currently having problems performing incremental backups on a file
system that has a large amount of files. The daily changes to this file system
are small so we are only sending approximately 5 - 10 gig per backup however,
since there are around 3,000,000 files to examine, the backup takes about 10 -
13 hours to complete.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle incremental backups of file
systems that contain a large number of I-nodes ?

Client:  AIX 7026-B80
Server AIX 7040-671

Thanks,
Mark.