ADSM-L

Tape Technology Comparison

2003-09-30 08:15:46
Subject: Tape Technology Comparison
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 13:09:33 +0100
Hello

Anybody out there able to share their thoughts and experiences?

We're doing a technology refresh on some of our libraries and have a number
of products in the frame:
IBM 3584 / LTO-2
ADIC Scalar i2000 / LTO-2
HP ESL9322 / LTO-2
StorageTek L700e / T9940B

The interesting one from my point of view is the L700e with its T9940B
drives. The performance/capacity comparisons between LTO-2 and T9940B seem
close enough to make no difference which leaves cost and reliability as the
differentiators.

Reliability will be an important factor in our decision and the T9940B
seems to be marketed as a high duty cycle, 24 x 7 drive. Does anybody have
any real world experieces in a TSM environment which suggest the T9940B is
more (or less) reliable than LTO-2? Should I be concerned about going for a
'proprietary' technology like 9x40 instead of an 'open' standard like LTO?

Also, any thoughts on the libraries we are considering would be gratefully
appreciated.

For info, no suppliers offered 3590 or 3592. This was probably on grounds
of cost but I'm guessing the first is looking obsolete now while the second
is a bit too new. Also, we're upgrading from DLT7000 libraries so chances
are we'll be ecstatic with whatever we get.

Thanks
Neil Schofield
Yorkshire Water Services

Visit our web site to find out about our award winning
Cool Schools community campaign at
http://www.yorkshirewater.com/yorkshirewater/schools.html
The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be legally
privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only and are subject
to the legal notice available at http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm
Yorkshire Water Services Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682