ADSM-L

Re: BackupSet creativity

2003-09-29 12:54:15
Subject: Re: BackupSet creativity
From: Ted Byrne <ted.byrne AT ADELPHIA DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 12:52:26 -0400
Todd,

I'm guessing that you will eventually end up with an error message stating
that there was no match  found, or something to that effect.  It may take a
long time to get to that point.  Backupsets can be very slow to process;
you typically wind up reading through the entire tape before the command
completes (or errors out).

There may also be inherent client compatibility issues that will prevent
this from working at all.  For one thing, the filespace naming format is
completely different between NT and Netware.

If you did not specify a destination for the restore, there will be no
filespace/drive that matches the source on the server that you are running
the restore from.

It's always a good idea to specify a destination on a restore like this,
anyway - prevents nasty things like overwriting data on the production
server across the network, rather than restoring data to the test box that
the restore is running on.

Ted