ADSM-L

Problem with HSM dsmreconcile

2003-09-29 09:28:49
Subject: Problem with HSM dsmreconcile
From: Gerhard Rentschler <g.rentschler AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:13:46 +0200
Hello,
I have the following problem with HSM client 5.1.5.15 on AIX.

I start a dsmreconcile. This command first opens a conncection to the TSM
Server (5.1.6.2). Then it issues thje message "Reading the current
premigration data base". This obviously is on the local disk. I can see
local I/O activity. Nothing is done with the server. Using "q se" I can see
the status is idle and the wait time increases. After 20 minutes the session
is cancelled because the idle timeout is set to 20 minutes in the
dsmserv.opt.

Some time later reading the premig db finishes. Dsmreconcile then tries to
reconnect to the session and fails. Dsmreconcile then fails with ANS1005E
error reading socket.

Increasing the idle timeout would most likely help. However, I do not want
to increase it infinitly, because I want inactive session to be cancelled.
As far as i know normal backup sessions can reconnect in such a case. Why
doesn't dsmreconcile do this?

Should I open a PMR or is this working as designed?

Regards
Gerhard

---
Gerhard Rentschler            email:g.rentschler AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de
Regional Computing Center     tel.   ++49/711/685 5806
University of Stuttgart       fax:   ++49/711/682357
Allmandring 30a
D 70550
Stuttgart
Germany