ADSM-L

SV: Very long Netware restore

2003-09-26 10:34:06
Subject: SV: Very long Netware restore
From: Flemming Hougaard <flhou AT NETVAULTING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:33:45 +0200
Hi Rick

Suggestions:

1) Check your Maximum Physical Receive Packet Size (or maximum frame size) and
tune it - it's a set parameter and the command is  "SET MAXIMUM PHYSICAL
RECEIVE PACKET SIZE = XXX", and you have to put it in the STARTUP.NCF!

The normal size on Ethernet is 1514 Bytes... BUT if you are using a NIC based
on Intel chipset it's different!!! You will have to use a size of 2048 Bytes...
due to the fact that the driver for these NIC's requires this "overhead" to
function properly!

2)If you are using some, using the words of Novell ;o), "inferior" routing
equipment which are incapable of splitting the IP-packet you might get some
problems on a NetWare network... there are another set command to solve this
"SET ALWAYS ALLOW IP FRAGMENTATION = ON"

3) Change the MTU Size - done by Enter "SET USE SPECIFIED MTU = ON" and "SET
MAXIMUM INTERFACE MTU = XXX" (the default, and the minimum, value is 576).

4) And last... tune your DSM.OPT regarding the following: TCPWINDOWSIZE &
TCPBUFFSIZE

Regards
Flemming