ADSM-L

Re: SQL server backups

2003-09-23 14:11:17
Subject: Re: SQL server backups
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:10:52 -0400
Thomas,

Take a look at DP for SQL "/STRIPes=numstripes" option.
DP for SQL allows you to send separate streams called stripes.
This is normally done for performance reasons, but could
also be used for splitting the backup into smaller objects.
SQL 2000 allows up to 64 separate striped objects.
For more details, take a look at the DP for SQL User's Guide:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/tividd/td/StorageManagerforDatabases5.2.1.html

Thanks,

Del

> My company has a Windows server supporting a very large SQL Server
database.
> Before the last hardware upgrade, the database was backed up with the
SQL