ADSM-L

Re: AIX TSM server upgrade questions

2003-09-23 12:12:53
Subject: Re: AIX TSM server upgrade questions
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:11:55 -0500
Dale,

I didn't notice any replies, so here goes.  My environment is not the same
as yours but I also had very old clients to deal with.

My 5.1.7.0 server on AIX 4.3.3 ML-11 has been very stable with most
"errors" being just annoyances.  No failed sessions or processes; no data
lost.

Prior to the upgrade from 4.1, I had lots of 3.1.0.6 and 3.1.0.8 Windows
and AIX clients, along with 3.1.0.7 Irix clients.  That combo mostly worked
OK with just a few rare problems.

When running a small, simple test system, 3.1 clients worked fine with 5.1
server.

Once we upgraded the production TSM system to 5.1, if a 3.1 node had been
configured to use a 4.x feature,  those 3.1 clients failed to perform
backups at all.  In particular, we used the DIRMC feature and that seemed
to cause the most problems between 3.1 clients and 5.1 server.  We did not
seriously pursue a fix since we had only 13 current clients on 3.1, and
client upgrades were included in the upgrade project.

So the answer, from my experience, is to keep the 3.1 client configuration
- on both ends of the wire - as simple as possible.

Hope this helps.

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator
Laitram, LLC

|         |           Dale Gieseke     |
|         |           <Dale.Gieseke@TOR|
|         |           O.COM>           |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM:  |
|         |           Dist Stor        |
|         |           Manager"         |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           .EDU>            |
|         |           09/18/2003 04:21 |
|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor |
|         |           Manager"         |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |       To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                         |
  |       cc:
                                  |
  |       Subject:  AIX TSM server upgrade questions
                                  |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Will be upgrading TSM server from V4.2.1.15 to V5.1.7.2 in about two weeks.
The server is on AIX 5.1 ML3.
Two Questions:

1.) Is TSM server level 5.1.7.2 reliable?

2.) I have two old NetWare clients at the V3.1.0.5 level and two AIX
clients at the V3.1.0.6 level.  These clients can't be upgraded because of
OS levels. Will these old clients continue to work after the server
upgrade?

Thanks in advance for any comments or advice.

Dale Gieseke
TSM administrator