ADSM-L

Re: Saving data on a defective cartridge

2003-09-18 12:35:52
Subject: Re: Saving data on a defective cartridge
From: "Coats, Jack" <Jack.Coats AT BANKSTERLING DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 11:37:36 -0500
Try doing a move data to get the data off of the tape.  If I find I am
starting to have problems I usually do a:

        update vol VOLUMENAME acc=reado
        move data VOLUMENAME

This should move all data that is recoverable from the volume to another
volume in the same storage pool.  I then eject the offending volume and
check it for apparent physical issues.  Then the part I hate:

        delete vol VOLUMENAME discarddata=yes

Sometimes I am able to re-label the volume and use it again.  But
typically it gets moved to a less critical use, returned to the vendor
for a new tape [my preferred method], or degaused and distroyed by
a certified vendor [least preferred, paying to have it thrown away].

If anyone has a better method, please let me know! ... JC