ADSM-L

Re: Improving speed of restores for W2K profiles, how ?

2003-09-15 09:40:24
Subject: Re: Improving speed of restores for W2K profiles, how ?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:40:03 -0500
From: Lambelet,Rene,VEVEY,GL-CSC [mailto:Rene.Lambelet AT NESTLE DOT COM]
>We use tsm server 5.1.5.4 and w2k clients 5.1.5.9. Probably due to the
very small size of profile files (most of the files are 1 KB big), the
restore session is very very long ... I suppose LTO technology is not so
well adapted to the read of such small files with mixed deleted blocks
on the tape!

We plan to define a special disk storage pool with NO migration and
maxsize of 2K, to keep all these small profile files on disk.<

If I may suggest something a little different...

1. Exclude the SYSTEMOBJECTS domain
2. Run a PRESCHEDCMD that uses NTBACKUP to backup the system state to a
flat file.
3. Back up the client.

Now, instead of 250MB of little files, you've got one big 250MB file to
backup (and restore). This process has three benefits: it greatly
reduces the number of database objects for W2K clients, the restore is
much faster, and this process is much more forgiving when performing BMR
to different hardware.