ADSM-L

Re: Non-IBM LTO tapes in a 3584

2003-09-12 11:13:31
Subject: Re: Non-IBM LTO tapes in a 3584
From: Stephen Comiskey <stephen.comiskey AT NOTES.ROYALSUN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 16:12:24 +0100
Hi,

As well as having the latest firmware, IBM have recently issued a small
plastic clip for LTO1 drives.  We were having problems with tapes ejecting
(both IBM and non-IBM) and this helped resolve it along with the firmware
upgrade.

cheers
Stephen
Dublin, Ireland

|---------+--------------------------->
|         |           Dan Foster      |
|         |           <dsf AT GBLX DOT NET>  |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM: |
|         |           Dist Stor       |
|         |           Manager"        |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           T.EDU>          |
|         |                           |
|         |                           |
|         |           12/09/03 15:59  |
|         |           Please respond  |
|         |           to "ADSM: Dist  |
|         |           Stor Manager"   |
|         |                           |
|---------+--------------------------->

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |

  |        To:      ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                                         |
  |        cc:
                                  |
  |        Subject: Re: Non-IBM LTO tapes in a 3584
                                  |

>---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

THIS MESSAGE ORIGINATED ON THE INTERNET - Please read the detailed
disclaimer below.

Hot Diggety! Shawn Price was rumored to have written:
>  For what it's worth, my boss cheaped out and got some non IBM tapes for
>  our 3584, and I've had nothing but problems with them. Mostly Imation
>  and a few Emtecs. We are running the first generation LTO 1 drives, so
>  there might be an issue with those as well. I have now gone in and just
>  started pulling the tapes that have gone read-only more than twice and
>  replaced them with IBMs.

Make sure your library and drives are at the latest firmware revision
levels -- this is especially important since more recent firmware revs
fixes bugs that causes problems with non-IBM tapes from what I hear.

Latest 3584 library firmware you can get from IBM's web/ftp site: 3300
if no D42 drives in library; else, 3060.

To check firmware rev for library w/AIX: # lscfg -vl smc0 | grep FW

The library firmware rev # also appears on the main LCD panel screen.

Latest 3584 drive firmware you can get from IBM's web/ftp site: 36U3 for
LTO-1 drives and 38D0 for LTO-2 drives.

To check firmware rev for drive w/AIX: # lscfg -vl rmt0 | grep FW
(...and for each drive... rmt1, rmt2, etc.)

-Dan

The following message has been automatically added by the mail gateway to
comply with a Royal & SunAlliance IT Security requirement.

As this email arrived via the Internet you should be cautious about its
origin and content. Replies which contain sensitive information or
legal/contractual obligations are particularly vulnerable. In these cases
you should not reply unless you are authorised to do so, and adequate
encryption is employed.

If you have any questions, please speak to your local desktop support team
or IT security contact.

Notice of Confidentiality

This transmission contains information that may be confidential and that may
also be privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient of the message (or
authorised to receive it for the intended recipient) you may not copy, forward,
or otherwise use it, or disclose it or its contents to anyone else. If you have
received this transmission in error please notify us immediately and delete it
from your system.

Email: internet.mail AT wgo.royalsun DOT com